Pertaringa Scarecrow Sauvignon Blanc 2023
Story: Each vintage, the Sauvignon Blanc grapes are the first grapes to ripen in the vineyard. The scarecrow is still used as an effective deterrent to the local grape-loving birds and has also lent its name to our famous Sauvignon Blanc.
Vineyard: The Scarecrow blend is from two parcels of wine. 60% is from the Battunga vineyard at Kuitpo in the Adelaide Hills which was planted by Bec's father, Geoff Hardy, in the 1990s. The other 40% is sourced from the Lower Tintara vineyard in McLaren Vale, these vines were planted by Bec's great-great-great-grandfather, Thomas Hardy, in the 1880s.
Soils: The Battunga Sauvignon Blanc is in a valley on alluvial clay from the Holocene. The Lower Tintara vineyard is on sandy loam soils called Maslin Sands, which are some of the oldest soils in McLaren Vale, aged between 34 and 56 million years old.
Harvest Date: 23 February (Lower Tintara) and 23 March (Battunga)
Winemaking: The grapes were harvested and delivered to the winery at night to ensure the fruit arrives cool and fresh. Immediate pressing after crushing with minimal skin contact. We aim for a light touch in the winery with the Scarecrow in order to let the fruit tell the story in the glass. The generous palate weight and flavour intensity is a reflection of the 100+ year old McLaren Vale fruit while the Adelaide Hills component offers lifted varietal aromatics and acid line. Cold stainless steel fermentation is followed by early blending of the components and bottling to retain varietal freshness.
Nose: The nose offers subtle and elegant aromas of passionfruit and snow peas.
Palate: The palate is smooth but lively with delightful tropical fruit flavours, followed by a crisp and refreshing finish.
Cellaring: Drink now
|Alc: 12.0%||TA: 6.47g/L|
|pH: 3.09||RS: 3.1g/L|
"A fresh and flavoursome Sauvignon Blanc, very pale lemon in colour, with quite a pronounced nose. There are ripe passionfruit and tropical notes here, a high class Savvy from a top region. There are also, most subtle, notes of riverstones and mango. Very good length, this is a delicious style for those who love the variety. Drink now and for the next couple of years."
- Ken Gargett, Wine Pilot 2023
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $200 AUSTRALIA WIDE
After ordering online, you will receive an email confirmation containing your order details (provided you have provided us with a valid email address). We will then attempt to deliver your purchase/s from our cellar door at McLaren Vale via our preferred carriers Australia Post, Fastway or Couriers Please. Depending on your location within Australia, the delivery time will vary between 1 and 10 days.
Wine is normally delivered from Monday to Friday between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm. Most orders will be delivered to your door, however in rural or remote areas the delivery may be left at the nearest Australia Post office or freight depot.
To see full Shipping Policy click here.
In the rare instance that you are not satisfied with a wine purchased from Bec Hardy Wines we are more than happy to provide you with a full refund for purchases of the relevant wine by you (excluding freight costs).
You must let us know that you are not satisfied within 14 days of buying the wine and we’ll refund you in full (excluding freight costs) an amount equal to the value of your remaining unopened bottles plus one opened bottle only.
Typically you will be required to return the remaining unopened bottles of the wine in question to our McLaren Vale Cellar Door for a quality inspection, and you will assume responsibility of risk and all associated freight costs. All refunds are processed within 7 days of your notification or from the date that the remaining wines are returned to us.
To see full terms and conditions for refunds click here.